Friday, September 23, 2011

You'll be grounded for life, young lady!

Gotta work on staying grounded and dancing into the floor, particularly on triple steps.

Must remember that the middle step is less of a hop and more of a step. Also the transfer of weight into the first step of a triple step is crucial to get that grounded feeling. And unless you are flea hopping or doing aerials or any other exceptional move (and I mean that in the most literal sense of the word), ALWAYS have one foot in contact with the ground and stay GROUNDED!

I need mirrors - and not just for vanity. ;)


On another note, we played with sugar pushes at last night's class. Here's a tip for the leads: if you're travelling side to side, you need to keep the tension constant! I found I was pushing one of the leads (I was trying to do it with my eyes shut so I could do it by feel more than by visual cues) until we were halfway up the room because he wasn't holding the tension constant!

A good follow will go where she is sent until she is told otherwise. It's like Newton's first law: an object [i.e. your follow] at rest or in constant motion will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an outside force [i.e. her (yes, you're right, or his) lead].


And finally, another video! My old swing teacher shared this on Facebook. Some very cool moves and very neat technique going on here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4B2w90cNA

No comments:

Post a Comment